Friday, June 3, 2011

5 days in and a minor speed bump.

We have successfully finished 5 days of shooting "Red Scare." There are pictures below from days 4 & 5. Not to jinx us, but things are going fairly well for us so far. The footage we have gotten so far is great. Granted, the shoots that we have had so far are by no means our most difficult ones; those are still ahead of us. But we have had 5 good days of shooting. 

I try not to be negative with these blogs, but some things need to be said. 

Today, we hit a small speed bump in the form of two messages I received. Two members of the cast who were supposed to be playing minor roles informed me that they "regretted" that they could no longer be a part of this movie. One cited "family" and one cited nothing at all as the reasons for their pulling out of the production. Here is what bothers me about that. Their first day on set was scheduled for this Sunday. This Sunday. In less than 48 hours, they were supposed to be on set. Now, I am grateful that they told me now, rather than on Sunday or after Sunday when they were already filmed in one of their scenes. What I am extremely disappointed in, is the fact that they had ample opportunity to inform me of their decision prior to today. It would have still been late notice, but it would give me more than the 48 hours I now have to recast. 

And so, a lesson that I learned from a NY casting director. Two years ago, I took a class with Paul Russell, of Paul Russell Casting. One thing that bothered him was actors that either or auditioned for a role and refused it (why bother auditioning if you don't want the part?) and actors who accepted a role offered and changed their minds. Here is the thing... This business is all about networking, and networking is all about talking. The actors that Paul mentioned will not be seen by him ever again. Likewise, if he is asked about any of these actors by his colleagues, what do you think he will tell them?

I haven't been in the casting game long. For BGR, I just asked people if they wanted to be in my movie. We held auditions this time around, and people came in and wanted to be a part of the movie. I looked into the actors that we auditioned... I asked people who knew them for any feedback they could give me. And I took that feedback, and really applied it to the casting process. 

Now, let's imagine the "Red Scare" dropouts. They auditioned. They read the script. They accepted their roles. They saw the schedule, and made no comment about it... Until today.

 I certainly won't work with them again. And if I am ever asked about the actors in question, I will all too gladly inform whoever is asking about the quality of those actors. 

Ah, well, enough negativity. I will recast, and it will work out, perhaps better this way. The Red Scare marches on. 

Stay Tuned!

Sam 
Actor, Writer, Producer
Red Scare































No comments:

Post a Comment