Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Red Scare Recording Session

There are a lot of unknowns in making a movie. You can try to plan all you want, but in the end there is a lot you just can't control. So, when we first started talking about recording a live orchestra, I kind of stepped back and let the thing come together. With the exception of securing the location, I really had very little input at all. 

Dan Granda is our composer/conductor. I met with him once to discuss a few things about the movie and the score, but make no mistake, the score is 100% his. And I didn't know what we were going to get... I like what we talked about, but without hearing it, how could I know? So, I trusted Dan. 

Today, I got to see if that trust paid off in our first orchestra session... 

I am not sure if I could adequately put it into words... I wish I had a picture of me and Bill's faces as we listened to the opening of the movie's score... the Russian theme... the American theme... etc. I really do... Because we had the biggest smiles on our faces the entire time. I am sure the orchestra thought we were crazy. It was amazing. This was the first time that this orchestra played together, and they were amazing. The best way I could describe it is somewhere between that feeling you get when you were a kid and you opened a present that you really wanted but didn't know you were going to get... and the feeling of being part of something that has become much bigger than you intended. 

Everyone knows how important the score is to a movie... A movie can live or die by its score. And boy will this one live. It is huge... It is epic... It is funny where it needs to be. I have that same goofy smile plastered on my face just thinking about it. 

So, big thanks to Dan Granda for composing this magic... the orchestra who I will credit and acknowledge by name and instrument once we finish with the recording... Thanks to Joey for once again risking his sanity for me as he records a larger group of musicians than he ever has before... Tony for being his usual calm and ever helpful self..... Loarina for doing whatever she can to help and showing once again why she has probably the most credits in the movie... Billy for his equipment help and just being there for this process to help wherever he can. 

Also have to thank Bayonne's Temple Beth Am for being so accomodating. When we were at a loss for where to record, they stepped up in a big way. 

We had a lot of help from people who provided stands and mics: "All around class act" Keith McCord, supporter and zombie in the movie Mike Castro, the guy who is going to be reproducing our DVDs Greg Colletti, Ryan Shumacher, and probably a bunch of people that got Joey some stuff that I don't know. 

Billy & I talked during the session about how big this is. Not only how epic the score is... But how often does an independent film record a live orchestra? Not often. And how often does that live orchestra sound as good as ours? I have no idea. I would say never, but I am not sure. All's I know is we are doing something that few, if any, indie filmmakers are doing. 

Yesterday, Red Scare was a very funny movie that I was insanely proud of... Today, I am kind of in awe of the whole thing. It's way bigger than any of us had any idea it could be. This is gonna be awesome. 

Stay Tuned!

Sam 




























No comments:

Post a Comment