Thursday, April 14, 2011

Auditions! Auditions!

So, I am sitting here after two long days of auditions, trying to get the video files off of my ipad so that we can look at them closely and try to figure out casting, and I figured I would write up a bit of a blog.

First, the two days couldn't have been without the help of our lovely Jill of All Trades, Loarina Gonzalez, who graciously donated her time to be our monitor and she did a great job of it. Also, thanks to my brother, Isaac, for being yesterday's reader and the ever entertaining Dan Gregory for reading today. In the room with me were Bill Dautrick, our director, and Bobby Lise... our... Bob. =) Both of their insights were valuable over the last two days, and I am glad that I wasn't the only one sitting in the room.

I have been on the other side of the audition table my whole acting life. I have never really auditioned people. Even for BGR, I just cast people sans audition. It is a very strange thing for an actor to audition other actors. I really feel for every last person who came into the audition room. Some were great, some were good, a few were... less than good... But I was very impressed overall with the turnout we got. Its nice to know that there are so many talented actors out there willing to work in movies like "Red Scare."

Some roles were easy to cast, and I am not going to lie. I already put out some offers for some of the roles, and I am hoping that the actors in question choose to work with us. The rest of the roles are slightly more difficult to cast, but we should be sending out offers for those parts within the next two days. Then there are the really tough roles to cast, and for them we may need a bit more time.

Its a tough process, and while I feel deeply for the actors waiting to hear back from us, I also begin to feel for the casting directors out there. This is not an easy gig. How do you choose between fantastic actors who are unique and have different things to offer? Sometimes a look can be all that matters in the end. Sometimes it is just the way a reading went. I have gone into so many auditions wondering what the casting director thinks, and then when not cast, I have felt depressed and confused. Why not me? Now, I know a little better... You can be the most fantastic actor in the world. But you have to realize that there are other fantastic actors out there. Some are better than you... Others may not be as good as you, but they possess something that sets themself apart from the rest, and may win them the part.

So, if any of our auditioners happen to read this, please know that my heart goes out to you. We won't keep you in suspense much longer, we will let you know soon. You should all be proud of yourselves. You came out, and your shared your work with us. You are to be commended.

We will announce the full cast within the next week or so. Its an exciting time, and I am very happy to have met so many talented actors in the last two days.

Stay tuned!

Sam
Actor, Writer, Producer
Red Scare

No comments:

Post a Comment